Friday, October 03, 2008

Work Stuff

I seldom discuss the thing I do 8 to 12 hours a day Monday through Friday. This week has been a week of anomalies. Monday I find out that a co worker who was off all last week sent an email at midnight Sunday and was off all this week as well. Great more work for me. Thanks.
I get a new lawsuit on my desk Wednesday that the incident occurred in 2001. The suit was filed and our insured was served while he was in jail in 2003. So 5 years later...I am investigating this loss. Incident: A guy sitting in his car with his girlfriend. The car is parked at an apartment complex and the girl friend indicates that she was seeing a guy outside the car on the side and pointed him out. The guy in the car shot the player outside the car. Fully resolved GSW to the jaw. I was cranky that plaintiff's counsel sent this crap to me. We insure cars, not drive bys. I called the policy holder and explained that his son's actions may not be covered by the policy and I was sending a reservation of rights out. He wanted to know why it was not cover and I explained the spirit of the policy is for motor vehicle accidents. I explained that gun violence is not covered and nor is there a policy rider for drive by shootings.
I started the coverage write up. Yeah, the policy defines "occupying" but it does not define "motor vehicle accident". I will not be happy if I have coverage cousel and defense counsel involved. Something that seemed like a fishing letter......

I have another one where a guy was driving a hearse at 4:30 am drunk and hit a car. There was a guy on the other side or the car trying to service the disabled car. He was dragged about a quarter mile before the hearse fled the scene. Six months later the guy died. He never left the hospital. The driver was served in jail in January. Can you say punitive? What about policy limit?

The deer hit from hell has finally settled. Amen.

It has been a long week. I hope next week is better.

No comments: