Monday, October 20, 2008

London Calling

I really love London. I wish I had a magical red telephone booth to transport me there whenever needed. There is so much to say. The fab hub had a business engagement that got us across the pond. We had to take separate flights since I am a cheap skate and it was the difference of a couple hundred bucks but only two hours. Once we flew into Heathrow we took the Gatwick Express into the city where we met up with Jeff's boss. Boss loves to try new food. I love him for this. I love learning people through their food and community around it. Since I could not sleep on the flight over first things first was to get a power nap. Once I was up we ventured out for some of the best Thai food ever. The sauces were amazing. Light and tasty, not thick and goopy. The vegatables were so fresh. It was just what I needed to be off to a good start.
London knows about transportation. They have this down to a science. The Tube simply works. The buses are everywhere and they work. Traffic is a nightmare. The city is old, there are not intersections or round abouts--there are a mish mash of street converging on one another that you must navigate quickly and with care.
Jeff was off to work at the booth OpenNMS had at the Linux World show. I played. I saw Big Ben, the London Eye, Harrod's, Tower Bridge, and my favorite was going to St. Paul's Cathedral. I am still in awe. Something stirred and moved in me while climbing the steps all the way to the top in Prada shoes. Not the best climbing footwear choice, but hey, they looked great! When I got to the top of the crazy winding stairs and finally outside to view all of London I asked a lady to snap my picture. She said sure with an accent I knew too well. Yeah, she was from Marietta.
We went to an English pub for dinner. They were serving Mexican food. You know I had some. Indeed the enchiladas were super. FYI Guinness is served cold and they have no damn clue what a Tom Collins is but the made me one anyways and it was good too.
Whoever told you the English cannot cook lied to you.
We had some yummy fusion inspired food at a place called I Love Vodka. A great eclectic mix that was not forced together to make the description sound good. I had some wonderful Chinese food. I was enchanted by the food halls in Harrod's.
We stayed in one of the nicest hotels I have ever encountered. The Sofetel was amazing. One of the neatest features I hope to see more places adopt is that if you want the power in your room to work the key must be placed in a slot in the wall. Thus when you are gone you take the key and the power is out. They have Hermes soap. Seriously.
I love London. Fast city, amazing fashion, wonderful food, nice people, cute cabs and an intriguing mix of old and new.
I will visit again!

No comments: