Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Worst Two Weeks Ever

I know you think I am a lazy slack ass and do not care about you any more. My world has been turned upside down. What I knew as my happy normal came crashing down. I will get you guys an update and try and fill you in. On Monday, March 12 we took Bellini in for her breathing issue. I thought it was a pollen allergy. Surprise! It was a polyp growing from her ear canal to her pharynx. Horror! It had to come out and it had to be tested for the "c word". We left her for the surgery where the vet went in with a scope and no incision was made when he pulled the polyp off the stalk for removal. I went to pick her up and she was still VERY groggy from the anesthesia. So groggy and crank she would not go into the carrier. I kept her in my arms at the vet's office for over an hour. Finally I called the fab hub and he picked us up as she slept in my arms the entire ride home. She would wake up every 45 minutes or so and fight me for a minute and the go back to sleep. This went on until at least midnight. She slept in my arm all night. She made no effort to walk or anything for the next day. We took her back to the vet. The vet believes she had a anesthesia stroke event. You could sweep the pieces of my heart off the floor. We were hand feeding her baby food 3 times a day and having to give her fluids to her back with a drip bag and needle. It made a water hump like a camel. She would walk a little bit. She could not see. She could not hear.
It has been almost two weeks now. She is walking and trotting around. She is eating on her own. She started drinking for the first time yesterday. She made her first crawl up on to the couch. She still is not seeing well. When the vet pulled out the polyp one of her facial nerves was pulled a bit and her 3rd eyelid is still showing and the pupil in that eye is slower to react to light. She looks a little off. Like a naked Helen Keller or a lost Roomba bumping into things.
She is purring and making a little meow sound. I just hope for a full recovery. Two weeks is a long time to wait. Watching her slowly get better is great, but it really is taking too long. All my efforts and time have gone into Bellini---I am sure you understand.

No comments: