Saturday, February 09, 2008

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner (Not in my House!)

Why is it wrong to not breed? I mean really.....
I don't like kids. It is no secret. I am good for maybe 5 minutes, then I get uncomfortable. Kids literally scare me. I don't know what to do with them or how to talk to them. I could not imagine cleaning up the messes....not the plastic toys, the spit and diapers and the pure nasty that comes out of them. Icky. All of my friends have either had kids or are pregnant. One of my best friends in New York is the only other chic I know that does not have kids. Even the ones that did not care for kids are pregnant. I am the only one.
Suddenly everyone is telling me I need to have children. Why? Isn't it okay and also responsible to know that I don't want kids? I do not have that maternal feeling. It's not something I dream about or desire. Screaming kids make my skin crawl. Having to own mounds of the latest and greatest plastic junk is not something that attracts me. A van....no. I cannot even handle having a back seat. I could not own a car with a back seat. I like it to be nice and clear there is no room for goldfish crackers or Cheerios in my car.
Over opinionated moms at work, on airplanes, in stores, at parties or where ever tell me how wonderful and rewarding being a mother is. They get sad when I tell them that is not a goal for me. They act like I am not fulfilling my duty as a woman. I have even been called selfish. They hate me for being on the cusp of 30 and not getting on my way to pushing a stroller.
So why is it a shame? I know what I want....and what I don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are thousands of things I could say about this post. When I read it the first time, it sparked an email conversation between me and another childless girlfriend.

I decided in my early 20s that I didn't want kids. Life has changed and I now have two step kids. But that has not changed the fact that I have absolutely no desire to have biological children of my own. I refuse to feel bad about that.

Nothing enrages me more than people who say "you'll change your mind." People say that to my husband about me all of the time. As if they know me better than I do. I find that type of behavior reprehensible. The idea that people feel the need to force their desires onto others. Horrible.

This topic absolutely enrages me. I like my life. My life is good and feels complete. Except maybe for wanting another kitten. My cats are my family and I am responsible for them and I am damn happy with things as they are.

And, one time, some under five spilled a strawberry milkshake from in n out in my backseat. I swore from that day forward that there would be no food in my car. I was so heated.